|Chichester City Council is the 'parish' council for Chichester. It is responsible for:
• Appointing the Mayor of the City annually from amongst its elected members.
• Letting and regulation of allotments in the City.
• The maintenance and care of the City Cross.
• The street decorations and Christmas lights.
• Representing the views of Chichester citizens to other bodies in matters which are under their control.
• A number of smaller functions, such as the naming of streets and the upkeep of the nameplates.
• It owns, on behalf of the citizens, the Council House with its Assembly Room and is landlord of the Market House (the Butter Market), North Street.
• It oversees the twinning activities between Chichester and the French city of Chartres and the Italian city of Ravenna.
The City Council also engages in a number of projects on its own behalf.