RREC Central Southern Section
HomeNewsDiaryEventsOfficers
News

FIRST ROLLS-ROYCE MOTOR CARS VISIT THE
MANUFACTURING PLANT UNDER CONSTRUCTION AT GOODWOOD
25 November 2001
RR Manufacturing Plant site
An historic moment, pictured on (a very wet) Sunday 25 November 2001.   Photo: Ian Burt

The very first Rolls-Royce motor cars to visit the future home of the world's most prestigious car brand, currently under construction at Goodwood, near Chichester - less than ten miles from West Wittering, where Sir F Henry Royce used to live and work. The all new Manufacturing Plant and Head Office for Rolls-Royce motor cars will start operations officially on 1 January 2003. It has been designed by one of Britain's most prominent architects, Nicolas Grimshaw & Partners, who became famous with their futuristic design of the 'Eden Project' in Cornwall. The new enterprise will be a stand-alone British subsidiary of the BMW Group who acquired the rights to the Rolls-Royce brand for automotive business. It will continue to design and produce in England authentic Rolls-Royce motor cars with a modern interpretation of all the marque's traditional values.

The cars and their proud owners, 'spirited with ecstasy' by this historic moment, are (from left to right):

1987 RR Silver Spirit Saloon 818ROD owned by Rod Goodall
1930 RR 20/25 Mulliner Weymann Saloon OG8143 owned by Doug Groves
1969 RR Phantom Six Limousine KRX599H owned by Paul Capper
1933 RR 20/25 T&M Limousine BPB937 owned by Ted Meachem
1974 RR Silver Shadow Saloon NPO653R owned by Ian Burt

Fred Fruth, General Manager, Public Affairs, BMW Group, Project Rolls-Royce