|VISIT TO THE ROLLS-ROYCE MANUFACTURING PLANT AT GOODWOOD
Saturday 29 April 2006
|Five Committee members (and volunteer Michael Plant) arrived early, donned their new orange hi-vis Section waistcoats and were greeted by Andrew Ball of RRMC. Tony and Michael manned the gate with Andrew, David, Simon and Ted in the Courtyard where two Goodwood Phantoms were already on display. By ten o'clock around seventy Club cars had been positioned around the fountain more or less filling the Courtyard. This provided a veritable feast for members with cameras and an opportunity to take photographs of Club cars ranging from 1924 to 2005.|
|Including Surrey members, who had arrived from their weekend rally based at the close-by Goodwood Marriott Hotel, around one hundred and seventy members meandered into the reception building for refreshments. On display in the Reception was the large cheque facsimile made out to St Wilfrid's Hospice for £1,000.00 which had been presented to the Hospice the previous week. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Limited had invited our Club to the Plant without charge and the entry monies paid by each member were donated to St Wilfrid's, the chosen charity of RRMC.|
|Andrew Thomson's 1928 RR 20hp Barker Landaulette in the Courtyard.|
|Unusually and probably more enjoyably the visit format was not formal
groups and tour guides but free range of most of the Plant with 'local experts' on hand at various
points. We are most grateful to these Company employees who had given up their Bank Holiday Saturday
morning to be on hand to answer any of our questions. There were, of course, Phantom saloons on the
line and the experimental convertible 100EX was on display in the Reception area.
Many members said how much they enjoyed the morning free ranging the Plant. We are most grateful to the Company for this opportunity and particularly to Andrew Ball and Alison Kettle for their organisation which made the visit such a success.
Ted Meachem - Section Secretary
|Photos: Ian Burt|