www.chichesterweb.co.uk ChichesterWeb
Home | City | star What's On | Special Events | Maps | Travel | City Walls | Old Photos | Cathedral | Churches | Hotels | B&B | Self-Catering | Campsites
Eating Out | Pubs | Shops | Weddings | The Area | Attractions | Free Guide | Harbour | Panoramas | Sport | Weather | Business | Health | Property | Cars
Rolls-Royce | Schools | Art | Music | Dance | Photo Gallery | Advertise | Web Design | Feedback | Archive | Councils | Contact Us | Content Search | Links

Old Chichester
...remembering past times
  Click on pictures to enlarge    homebacknext
East Street
Early East Street scene
South Street
Roadworks in South St
Old Theatre
Old theatre
1900 Canal
Canal in 1900
Circus
Circus parade, Southgate
 
Chichester has been described as the epitome of an English cathedral city. Considerable stretches of the Roman wall survive, although the gates to the four main streets were removed in the eighteenth century.

The most Georgian part of the city is the Pallants where there are mainly eighteenth century houses that collectively provide an architectural experience now rare in Britain. The most notable house in this area is Pallant House, built in 1712 by Henry Peckham. There are more Georgian houses in East Row, as well as converted corn stores. Little London, said to have received its name from Elizabeth I during one of her visits to the city, has some attractive cottages.
Old Poster
Old poster
  Canon Lane
Canon Lane

  In Jubilee Park the Roman wall has an impressive grandeur, and so have the trees. Originally called the People's Park, Diamond Jubilee celebrations for Queen Victoria produced a revival of ceremonial tree planting.

Priory Park is beautifully cared for, and was the gift of the 7th Duke of Richmond and Gordon to the citizens of Chichester in 1918. Within is the Guildhall, where in 1804 William Blake was tried for treason.

North Street
North Street cattle market
  Old Eastgate Square
Eastgate Square
homebacknext